Thursday, March 4, 2010

Practical Grace

When I first became a Christian I was told that Grace means 'a free gift'. Jesus, being the gift God gave, in order that we may be saved. In investigating the word 'grace', I have uncovered a deeper understanding, I never knew. I call it practical grace.

Grace is found in both giving and receiving. It can be tangible, such as material things we give and receive. It can also be intangible, such as the relationship we have with Jesus and with others.

I call it practical grace, because grace is present in the practical things of life. When our eyes are open to it, it is there to be seen, it is everywhere. It is God's gift of a new morning, of the food so readily available to us. It is in new relationships and in the old ones we old dear. Practical grace is when God burdens us with compassion for those in need, and act on that burden with practical giving. Then, as others respond to grace in their lives, we are blessed in receiving. It is a beautiful circular picture of love.

My hope is that we see the tangible and intangible blessings of practical grace, and that we respond to the burden of compassion God has placed on our hearts.

For everything we have, and everything we are, is because of Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment