Thursday, August 27, 2009

The end is nigh...

Now is about the time of year when rumours arise of appointments for the second year cadets. If they have been told, they are sworn to secrecy. Imagine keeping that sort of secret for over another month before anyone else is allowed to find out! I suppose it does benefit those who have to start looking for schools for their children and making Christmas plans...

But for us first year cadets, it seriously makes us think that about this time next year, it will be our turn. Our fleeting time at college will be up and we will be sooned unleashed onto some poor unsuspecting corps. In the most literal meaning and non-profane way possible - God help us all. And thankfully, we are assured that he will.

Every new Officer that I have spoken to in the last few months gives the same piece of advice - make the most of college while you are there. Soak it in; ask questions, take lots of notes. We will never have this sort of learning environment again with such a range of experience and variety of teaching. We have some wonderful godly people here at college, who are encouraging and motivating. We should listen to their guidance and wisdom, in order to learn from their mistakes.

And so, with the future in mind, I urge all of the Ambassadors of Holiness to really enjoy the remaining time we do have here at college, making the most of it. I confess that I have in the past months maintained a pretty slack attitude about classes that I find 'less interesting' than others. Having a big session means we can sit in the back row, pass notes, and do other class readings and work on projects without anyone noticing. But, as I am learning from expereince of delivering sermons to noisy, fidgety groups that this is actually really disrespectful and distracting to others who are genuinely interested in listening...

This doesn't mean we all have to strive for an A++ grade average and not be satisfied with any less... All we can give God is our best and that requires our full attention, focus and time. As we were told in one of our first lessons 'this college does not want to produce 'good students'; they want to empower good officers.'

So enjoy college; as before we realise it, the end will be nigh... And most importantly - remember to HAVE FUN! Play a few pranks, joke around, enjoy yourself... this isn't a prison but a stepping stone.

2 comments:

  1. This time next year will be huge for us!!! I'm almost anxious just thinking about it :S
    This is an awesome time for us though, living it up and asking hundreds of questions is a great thing to do!
    How many in your session? We have 26 Ambassadors here in Australian Southern and it is an awesome session!
    Keep blogging - your fellow session mate
    Simon
    (Btw, do you have any good suggestions for some pranks..??)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re: pranks

    I have somehow gotten an infamous rep @ Booth Collegge as the prankster (and took the fall for many a prank I was not involved in - though I confess, I usually was involved!) someone started this while we were studying... (not me) ... http://funatcollege.blogspot.com/ Might have some ideas. The pegs were actually in my unit - I literally had like several hundred, and still found them among my stuff several months into my appointment!!
    Also, one of my favs were we managed to get into our TP's house and gladwrapped it - like EVERYTHING individually. Brilliant if I do say so myself!

    While at College, one of my sessionmates got married, and we broke into their house while they were on their honeymoon - everything from taking one bed leg (so there were 3 on their bed) to changing their answerphone message. To counteract the annoyance factor, we did leave them a large box of groceries as a present on their bench.

    Also, try writing messages in toothpaste on bedroom windows - it will make them smile when they pull open their curtains. Or the traditional water fight is always a winner. (Unless the girls are going out and have done their hair!)

    And jumping out and screaming from around a corner as someone is about to turn ... is HILARIOUS! (You don't need to know who it is, but be warned ... I did do this once to our TC! My bad!)

    The best prank is usually done spur of the moment with whatever is available (cos they aren't expecting it!) Be creative.

    Happy pranking!!

    ReplyDelete